Elmira, New York, 1908; Warsaw, New York, 1915–1932; St. Louis, Missouri, 1932–c.1933.
John J. Colton was with the Hope-Jones Organ Co. of Elmira, New York, 1908; he was a voicer. He was a partner with David Marr in Marr & Colton of Warsaw, New York, 1915–(1931?).
John J. Colton was with the Hope-Jones Organ Co. of Elmira, New York, 1908; he was a voicer.1 He continued with the Wurlitzer firm of North Tonawanda after it acquired the Hope-Jones Co. When David Marr left Wurlitzer in 1915 to form his own company, he persuaded Colton to come with him. Colton was named a partner in the new concern, Marr & Colton of Warsaw, New York, although he was not an investor. The new firm did well, producing over 500 organs in fifteen years, but declined rapidly with the advent of films with sound tracks. The Great Depression of the 1930s forced the closing of the weakened company. Colton left in 1932, moving to St. Louis and becoming a salesman for the Kilgen firm. He died not long after that.2
There are no entries in the database that describe organs by John J. Colton.
We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.
Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.
This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.
Some of our entries are names that might never appear on a nameplate or nameboard.
On the other hand, there are both individuals and firms who are responsible for conserving historic organs through location, or preserving the usefulness of pipe organs through rebuilding or making modifications to existing instruments. In these cases, we are proud to acknowledge their contributions to the ongoing artistic tradition of the pipe organ in America through individual entries in our online database.