San Francisco, California, 1877–1980s.
Established by Felix Schoenstein in San Francisco, California, in 1877; representative of the Austin firm of Hartford, Connecticut, in 1957; acquired by Jack M. Bethards in 1970; name changed to Schoenstein & Co.
Staff: Gus Abeling; Clyde M. Balcom ; Paul Beckwith; Ernest Berlo; Robert Berlo; Donald Black; James H. Bolton; A. C. Burnham; Glen Brasel; Mrs. John Bufalini; Ted Crawford; Edward L. Crome; Gilbert Crosby; Frank Cusak; William Dahl; Peter Derrick; Martin Donant; Harry Doyle; Frank Farren; Frank Fassler; Homer Hamlin; Edward Hause; James Heaton; Gayle Holmlund; Helen Houston; Albert Jestadt; John Johnston; West Jorgensen; Kellner; Victor Kinkella; Murray Knowlton; Fred Lake; Stella Lazzaroni; Joseph Lee; George T. Limacher; Lindsay; Fred Mayer; Peter Mueller; Gus Minch; Bradford Morse; George Mundinger; William Nessier; John Ogle; John Olderler; John O'Neil; John Oston; Herman Partman; Julius Peterson; Frank Reichmuth; Robert Rhoads; Thomas Rhodes; Frank Roberts; Robrecht; Andrew Rosberg; Ruperich; Alex Schoenstein; Bertram F. Schoenstein; Erwin Schoenstein; Frank Schoenstein, Sr. & Jr.; Lawrence L. Schoenstein; Leo F. Schoenstein Sr.: Leo F. Schoenstein Jr.; Louis J. Schoenstein; Otto Schoenstein; Paul Schoenstein; Robert Schoenstein; Terrence P. Schoenstein; Vincent Schoenstein; Don Siler; Richmond H. Skinner; Robert Sproule; C. A. Stewart; Edward M. Stout; John Strathaus; August Sustaric; Charles Sweeney; Robert Toutjian; Shield Toutjian; Mike Towey; Fred Walti; John West; Wilhelm brothers; Chester Wiltse; Harold Wright.
Felix F. Schoenstein & Sons was established by Felix Schoenstein in San Francisco, California, in 1877; it is the oldest organ firm in the U.S. west of the Mississippi which is still active. It is also the largest builder on the west coast.
"The Schoenstein family has been building distinguished instruments for five generations. The firm started in the Black Forest of Germany in the mid-19th century with branches in Odessa, St. Petersburg, Berlin, and Stuttgart among others. In 1868, Felix F. Schoenstein came to San Francisco representing his father and brothers. By 1877 he established his independent firm there."1 The firm built new organs locally, while most of the organ shops in the then remote area were service firms associated with builders in the eastern U.S. An organ from the Hook brothers had to be shipped all the way around the tip of South America, a Schoenstein organ could be delivered from within the city. The firm survived the great earthquake of 1906, and would actually derive much new business in its aftermath as the city rebuilt. In addition to its own instruments, Schoenstein repaired organs from other builders as churches rebuilt their damaged sanctuaries.2
The firm was acquired by Jack M. Bethards in 1970; the name was changed to Schoenstein & Co.
External links: Schoenstein & Co.
There are 6 entries in the database that describe organs by Felix F. Schoenstein & Sons.
We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.
Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.