The OHS Pipe Organ Database

BuilderID 4

Builder Identification

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, c.1830–1867; succeeded by J.P. Hunter (& Sons).

Additional Notes

  • From the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders by David H. Fox (Organ Historical Society, 1991). —

    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, c. 1830–1867. Partnership of Albert G. Hunter and John P. Hunter. Succeeded by J. P. Hunter & Sons.

    Source:

    • John Speller, Dieffenbuch (journal of the Tannenberg/Central Pa. Chapter of the O.H.S.) 6:3.

  • From the OHS Database Builders Listing Editor, Updated February 7, 2016. —

    A. G. & J. P. Hunter was active in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from around 1830 until Albert G. Hunter's death in 1867.1 The firm was well established by 1859, as they were one of the advertisers in The Metropolitan Catholic Almanac, 1860 edition which would have been prepared in 1859.2 The firm was the partnership of Albert G. Hunter (1803–1867) and John P. Hunter (c. 1810–1902), presumed to be brothers. After Albert's death, John continued the firm, eventually joined by his two sons, John R. and Newton as J.P. Hunter & Sons.3 Newton died at age 28, predeceasing his father.4 After John P.'s death, surviving son John R. Hunter continued the business5 until his death in 19156. The firm merged with Bernard Mudler's firm as Mudler-Hunter, which was incorporated in 1921 although the actual merger likely took place years earlier.7

    Sources:

    1. Philadelphia City Death Certificate for Albert G. Hunter.
    2. The Metropolitan Catholic Almanac, and Laity's Directory, for the United States, 1860 (John Murphy & Co. London, UK 1859) available on-line via Google Books, accessed Feb. 7, 2016.
    3. John Speller, Pipe Chat, February 1, 2008. (See paragraph below)
    4. Philadelphia City Death Certificate for Newton Hunter.
    5. Speller, Pipe Chat.
    6. Philadelphia City Death Certificate for John R. Hunter.
    7. Speller, Pipe Chat.
     

  • From the OHS Database Builders Listing Editor, Updated February 7, 2016. —  

    Albert G. and John P. Hunter formed a company named A.G. & J.P. Hunter which traded in Philadelphia in the 1860's and 1870's. By 1880 this had morphed into J.P. Hunter & Sons. There does not seem to be any connection with the London, England firm of A. Hunter & Son. Bernard Mudler was also active as an organbuilder in Philadelphia from about 1870 onwards. The Mudler-Hunter firm was incorporated in 1921 and seems to have resulted from a merger of these two previous firms.

    Source:
    • John Speller on Pipe-Chat, February 1, 2008.

  • See also J.P. Hunter & Sons.

Database Entries

There are no entries in the database that describe organs by A. G. & J. P. Hunter.


We are always interested in adding to our information about builders and correcting any errors that our Database may contain. If you can provide us with corrections or additions to the information presented here, please click the Update button and use the online form to send us details.

Your cooperation and support are greatly appreciated.


 

OHS Logo

This page was opened in a secondary window or tab. To return to the list of builders, simply close this tab.

Some of our entries are names that might never appear on a nameplate or nameboard.
On the other hand, there are both individuals and firms who are responsible for conserving historic organs through location, or preserving the usefulness of pipe organs through rebuilding or making modifications to existing instruments. In these cases, we are proud to acknowledge their contributions to the ongoing artistic tradition of the pipe organ in America through individual entries in our online database.