The OHS Pipe Organ Database

Central United Methodist Church
518 W. Third Avenue
Spokane, Washington 99204

OHS Database ID 18188.

See the address on Google Maps.


Status and Condition

The organ has been altered from the original installation as described here.
The organ needs repairs, but is in usable condition.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition October 12, 2016.


Technical Details

Electro-pneumatic (EP) ventil chests.

Three manuals. 4 divisions. 28 stops. 30 registers. 28 ranks. 1572 pipes. Manual compass is 61 notes. Pedal compass is 32 notes.

The organ is in center chambers at the front of the room with visible façade pipes or case front. Traditional style console with roll top. The console is in a fixed position, right.

Stop keys above top manual. Balanced swell shoes/pedals, standard AGO placement. Adjustable combination pistons. AGO Standard (concave radiating) pedalboard. Reversible full organ/tutti thumb piston. Reversible full organ/tutti toe stud. Combination action thumb pistons. Coupler reversible thumb pistons. Coupler reversible toe studs.

Notes

  • Identified through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The action was electrified by Spokane organ builder George Graham in the 1950's. Otherwise, tonally intact and original. (Database Manager. June 7, 2005)
  • Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The original console was a standard Kimball rolltop console with stops controlled by drawknobs having oblique faces, and projecting from an angled board on each side of the manuals. The original pedal compass was 30 notes, and when the organ was electrified by George Graham, the new Klann console had a 32-note pedalboard, but the pedal stops were not increased by two pipes and so still play for 30 notes. (Database Manager. January 28, 2007)
  • Updated through online information from Sean Haley.
    Further changes to the organ included the addition of a 32' electronic extension of the Pedal 16' Violone circa 1990's. The 16' Open Diapason (metal)in the pedal was deleted for this change. Around the same time the combination action in the console was updated to an electronic combination action with several levels of memory. The instrument is in desperate need of complete restoration. (Database Manager. December 13, 2015)
  • Updated through online information from James R. Stettner.
    The Choir 4' Flute d'Amour had its stoppers releathered by Meadway & Stettner of Monroe, Washington ca. 2003. In 2016, the dwindling congregation disbanded and the building is for sale. The fate of the organ is presently unknown. (Database Manager. October 12, 2016)

Online Documents

Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.

Other Websites

The database contains no links to external websites that describe this organ. If you know of any sites that contain information about it, please use the Update form to send us the URL.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Model of console; Church archives. Photograph by James R. Stettner 2007-05-05
Organ and chancel. Photograph by James R. Stettner 2007-05-05
Console. Photograph by James R. Stettner 1992-12-03

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to stoplists@organsociety.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.

  • Original document from James R. Stettner.. Source: Stoplist copied from console stop controls PDF document; -- will open in a new window or tab.
  • Original document from James R. Stettner.. Source: Stoplist copied from the console December 3, 1992; verified & updated: June 27, 1997

  • Spokane, WA
    Central United Methodist Church
    
    W.W. KIMBALL CO., Op ____, c. 1905
    Geo. W. Graham, 1950's - Electrification
    
    
    GREAT                                        SWELL (Expressive)  
      16  Double Open Diapason         61          16  Bourdon                     61
      8   Open Diapason                61          8   Violin Diapason             61
      8   Doppel Flute                 61          8   Stopped Diapason            61
      8   Gamba                        61          8   Salicional                  61
      8   Dulciana                     61          8   Vox Celeste           (tc)  49
      4   Principal                    61          8   Aeoline                     61
      2   Fifteenth                    61          4   Flute Traverso              61
      8   Orch. Trumpet                61          8   Cornopean                   61
                                                   8   Oboe                        61
      Great Unison Off                             8   Vox Humana                  61
      Great to Great 4'                                blank
                                                       Tremolo
    
                                                   Swell to Swell 16' 
    Choir (Expressive)                             Swell Unison Off
      8  Open Diapason                 61          Swell to Swell 4'
      8  Melodia                       61
      8  Dulciana                      61
      4  Flute d'Amour                 61        
      2  Piccolo                       61        PEDAL
      8  Clarinet                      61          16  Open Diapason  [wood]       30
         Tremolo                                   16  Violone                     30
         Chimes  (Maas; tf-c3)        (32)         16  Bourdon                     30
                                                   8   Flute                       30
      Choir Unison Off
      Choir to Choir 4'
                                                 FINGER PISTONS
                                                   General                      1 – 4
    COUPLERS                                       Swell                        1 - 4
      Swell to Great                  8,4            Sw. to Ped.                (rev)
      Great to Pedal                  8,4          Great                        1 – 4
      Choir to Pedal                  8,4            Gt. to Ped.                (rev)
                                                   Choir                        1 – 4
      Swell to Great               16,8,4            Ch. to Ped.                (rev)
      Choir to Great                  8,4          Sforz.                       (rev)
                                                   G.C.
      Swell to Choir                  8,4
    
                                                 PEDAL MOVEMENTS
    TOE STUDS                                      Swell Expression            (bal.)
      Gr. - Ped. Rev.               (rev)          Choir Expression            (bal.) 
      Sforz. Rev.                   (rev)          Crescendo                   (bal.)
    
    
    ACTION: E-P primary      VOICES: 28      STOPS: 29      RANKS: 28      PIPES: 1,572      
                                           (inc. chimes)
    
    NOTES
    Central United Methodist Church has its beginnings in First Methodist Episcopal Church
    who built their first building on the SW corner of Sprague and Washington in 1881. Circa
    1887, a new brick church was built at the same site. In 18__, the present site at the NE
    corner of Third and Howard was purchased, and a temporary tabernacle was erected on the
    site at which time the brick church on Sprague and Washington was sold for $35,000.00.
    
    In 1894, the quarterly conference voted 18 to 6 to build a new edifice at Third and
    Howard to replace the tabernacle. This was known as the "Little White Church". It housed
    a II-manual, 38-register Hook & Hastings tracker action instrument built in 1902 as that
    firm's opus 1944. Both church and organ were destroyed by fire at 2:00 a.m. on April 16,
    1905. In the interim after the fire, Sunday school was held at Central Christian Church.
    Worship was conducted at the Spokane Theatre located at First and Post.
    
    99 people were so upset by the decision to build the new church that they left First
    Methodist Episcopal in 1895 to form Vincent Methodist Episcopal. They first met at Simons
    Hall on the corner of Sprague and Howard. Next they erected a small church on the SW
    corner of First and Wall. Finally, they erected a brick church at Main and Lincoln. This
    was the first Spokane church to have a pipe organ. It was a large 2-manual instrument
    installed in 1901.
    
    A quarterly conference was called after the April 16 fire, and a unanimous vote was
    reached to build a new church on the same location - to cost +/- $50,000.00. This is the
    present edifice. The cornerstone was laid in 1905. By the fall of 1906, the basement was
    being used for some activities and worship. On May 26, 1907, the new sanctuary was used
    for the first time.
    
    The origins of the Kimball organ have been a bit obscure and uncertain until now.
    According to a pipe organ compilation authored in the 1960's by Balcom and Vaughan tonal
    director Eugene M. Nye, the Kimball now at Central United Methodist was originally built
    for Vincent M.E. Church. However, Vincent did not merge with First M.E. to form Central
    Methodist until 1918, 23 years after the split. Photographs in Central United Methodist's 
    archives show the present organ in 1910, so it must have originally been built for the
    1906 building. Further research has also revealed that the Vincent M.E. Church Kimball
    was relocated to the Methodist Church in Ellensburg, WA.
    
    The organ as originally built had an detached, drawknob console below the elevated organ
    and on the main floor in front of the podium. The action was tubular-pneumatic to ventil
    chests. In the 1950's, the primaries were electrified and a new Klann tilting tablet
    console was provided to replace the original. This was done by George A. Graham of
    Spokane.
    
    There are presently 37 pipes in the façade of which 12 are from the Great 8' Open
    Diapason. The impost is drilled for two more corner pipes, but the slope of the arch
    evidently did not permit their installation.
    
    The Choir 4' Flute d'Amour had its stoppers releathered in the 1990's by Meadway & Stettner of Monroe, Washington.
    
    
    Sources: Church history and photos; JRS; extant, electrified (but tonally unaltered)
             organ.
    
    
    Central United Methodist
    W. 518 Third Ave.
    Spokane,  WA.  99204                         Documented: December 3, 1992
    (509) 838-1431                               Verified & updated: June 27, 1997
    
    		
  • Original document from James R. Stettner.. Source: Stoplist copied from the console December 3, 1992; verified & updated: June 27, 1997 Plain text; will open in a new window or tab.