OHS Database ID 469.
The state of this organ is unknown to the database, being undocumented or unreported.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition April 16, 2008.
Slider chests. Mechanical key action. Mechanical stop action.
Three manuals. 33 stops. 36 registers. 36 ranks. Manual compass is 56 notes. Pedal compass is 25 notes.
The organ is in a gallery-level case at the rear of the room. There are hinged doors that enclose keyboards. There is an attached keydesk en fenêtre.
Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs. Balanced swell shoes/pedals, not in standard AGO position. No combination action. Flat straight pedalboard.
Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.
If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.
The database contains no links to external websites that describe this organ. If you know of any sites that contain information about it, please use the Update form to send us the URL.
Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.
|Manuals and Right Drawknobs. Photograph by Shawn Brown 2013-08-03|
|. Photograph by Shawn Brown 2014-08-03|
|Left Drawknobs. Photograph by Shawn Brown 2014-08-03|
If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.
When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.
Norfolk, Virginia St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church Ferris & Stuart 1858 3 manuals, 36 registers, 33 stops, 36 ranks ____________________________________________________________________________________ GREAT ORGAN SWELL ORGAN 8' 1st Open Diapason Metal 56 16' Bourdon (TC) 44 8' Open Diapason Wood 56 8' Open Diapason (TC) 44 8' Gamba 56 8' Dulciana (TC) 44 8' Melodia (TC) 44 8' Voix Celestes (TC) 44 8' Stop Diapason Treble (TC) 44 8' Stop Diapason Treble (TC) 44 8' Stop Diapason Bass 12 8' Stop Diapason Bass 12 4' Principal 56 4' Principal 56 4' Night Horn 56 2' Fifteenth 56 4' Rohr Flute * 56 Cornet II * 112 2 2/3' Twelfth 56 8' Trumpet (TC) 44 2' Fifteenth 56 8' Hautboy (TC) 44 Sesquialtra III 168 8' Trumpet 56 PEDAL ORGAN 16' Open Diapason 25 CHOIR ORGAN (unenclosed) 16' Stop Diapason 25 8' Open Diapason 56 8' Violoncello 25 8' Dulciana (TC) 56 16' Trombone 25 8' Stop Diapason Treble (TC) 44 8' Stop Diapason Bass 12 COUPLERS 4' Principal 56 Gr. & Sw. Coupler 4' Flute (TC) 44 Gr. & Ch. Coupler 2' Fifteenth 56 Ch. & Sw. Coupler 8' Clarionet (TC) 44 Ped. & Gt. Coupler * Tremolo (later addition) Ped. & Ch. Coupler Bellows Alarm No Machine Action * original stop label missing Richard A. Garrett of Norfolk has known St. Mary's organ since 1938, and recently completed a refurbishing project that was begun in 1975 during the pastorate of Father Thomas Quinlan who was advised by St. Mary's parishoner and former organist, Brandon Spence. Funds for the work were raised by members of the parish. Garrett replaced trackers and some squares, replaced a 32-note concave radiating pedal board which did not function with a proper 25-note flat pedal board, replaced the missing knee panel, replaced some damaged pipes with new ones fashioned to be identical to the old ones, had the keyboard recovered in ivory by Pratt & Read of lvoryton, Connecticut (retaining the black keyfronts which are thought to be original), replaced the deteriorated leather chest channel bottoms with rubber cloth, added new metal wind lines to augment existing wooden wind lines, and generally cleaned the instrument. With the help of Richard Garrett, Robert Campbell, Frank Lybolt, and the observations E. A. Boadway, George Bozeman, Jr., Peter Cameron, the late Cleveland Fisher, Alan M. Laufman, James R. McFarland, Dr. John Ogasapian, and Iawrence Trupiano, all members of the Organ Historical Society, some notes can be recorded about the organ's current status and changes which have been made. Richard Garrett added the tremolo to the Choir division in 1938, while the organ had a single, large wind reservoir and could still be hand pumped. Around 1954 a period began when the organ was under the care of Harry H. Groenwegen who had worked for the now defunct Standart Organ Company of Suffolk. Groenwegen replaced the original reservoir with two smaller, weighted, single-rise reservoirs, placed tuning collars on all of the pipes, replaced the Great Trumpet, Pedal Trombone, and Swell Hautboy, and installed the 32-note pedal board since removed. The Great is on adjoining "C" and "C-sharp" chests, with the pallets in front and the reed rank at the rear. The Choir is behind the Great on a chest with eight basses rollered to the C-sharp end; the Swell is above, with tuning doors on the sides, reed tuning panels below the shades, and the pipework is arranged with the basses in the center. The Pedal is on two large slider chests at the rear, the C and C-sharp sections having abutting toeboards and the basses are in the center. The organ has no winkers, and is well designed for maintenance. The Open Diapason Wood is an unusual stop fashioned of clarabella-like pipes, with open wood basses. The Gamba is a mild gemshorn rank with long ears, and is likely to have been a bell gamba before the tuning collars were added. The Stop Diapason is of wood; the Night Horn is a wide-scale metal rank which seems to have been made louder, the Rohr Flute is an original open wood rank with eight metal trebles, the Sesquialtra III is composed l2-15-17 with a break to 8'12'15 at the top octave replicating the original with what appear to be recent pipes, and the Trumpet is a recent replacement with French double blocks. In the Swell, the Bourdon is of wood; the Voix Celestes, an exceedingly unusual stop in America in the 1850's, is original, is surely the oldest extant Celeste in the United States, and is of slightly larger scale than the Dulciana; the Stop Diapason is of wood; the Trumpet has common metal resonators, seven flue trebles, and appears original with a few replacement pipes; the Hautboy is a recent replacement in the style of a schalmei with a one-half length tenor octave and no flue trebles; and the Cornet is of two ranks composed 12-17 and a top octave breaking to 8-12. The Choir Open Diapason has offset unmitered zinc basses; the Stop Diapason is of wood; the Flute is chimneyed, has movable caps and large ears, appears to be a replacement rank, is inscribed "Roerflute," and has 12 tapered trebles; the Clarionet has cylindrical resonators and seven flue trebles. The Pedal division has open and stopped ranks of wood, the Violoncello is a large zinc rank and may not date from 1858, and the unmitered Trombone is of zinc and is a recent replacement. Notes on the organ and its history gathered from several sources by William T. Van Pelt [Received from Steven E. Lawson 2017-05-01]