Reid Memorial United Presbyterian Church / Olde North Chapel
200 N. 11th Street
Richmond, Indiana 47374
OHS Database ID 53021.
See the address on Google Maps.
Status and Condition
The organ is no longer at this location, and is presumed destroyed, dispersed or relocated.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition July 14, 2017.
Slider chests with EP pull-downs (externally mounted).
Two manuals. 3 divisions.
Manual compass is 61 notes.
Pedal compass is 30 notes.
- This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.
Identified by Timothy E. Conyers, using information found in Church archives, newspaper accounts, History of Wayne Co., IN, 1884.
-- A Presbyterian congregation was organized at Richmond in 1830 as a parish of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The first building was a frame meeting house built in 1833 on the south side of the city. Due to a merger of two national Presbyterian groups, the congregation became part of the United Presbyterian Church in 1858. A second building was constructed in 1866 at the corner of North 11th and B Streets. Built in the Gothic style, the building was 39 x 70 feet. It had a Sunday School lecture room on the street level and a sanctuary on the second floor with seating capacity of nearly 400. The church was dedicated May 5, 1871. A few days later two members completely paid off the church debt.
In 1901, Daniel G. Reid, a sucessful businessman in New York and a native of Richmond, had a pipe organ installed in the church. The instrument was housed in a center chamber at the front of the room with a stenciled pipe facade and case front visible. It is not known where the original console was located as no evidence now exists due to extensive remodeling. (Only the facade pipes exist today). Presumably it was attached to the front of the case. The Richmond "Evening Item," Wednesday, March 13, 1901, describes the dedication recital:
"The beautiful new pipe organ, the gift of Mr. Daniel G. Reid, of New York, was dedicated in a formal manner...and the first musical numbers were played by Mr. Charles F. Hansen, of Indianapolis, the blind organist, whose powers are wonderful and whose fine artistic sense was never more in evidence than last evening...It may be said that his playing was extremely grand and satisfying and that his audience was enraptured. Mr. Hansen has been heard in Richmond previous to this occasion having played at the First Presbyterian Church...some years ago. His improvement at this time, however, was very marked..."
In 1902, Daniel G. Reid, now a millionaire, purchased land at the corner of North A and 11th Streets on which to build a new church. The new building was erected in the Scottish Gothic style and included 62 windows and other appointments designed by the Louis Tiffany studios of New York. It also contained a large Hook & Hastings pipe organ,(see OHS Database ID 576). The church was dedicated May 13, 1906 and renamed Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church.
The old church and its contents, including the pipe organ, were sold to the United Bretheran Church for $7,000. (Database Manager. August 7, 2014)
- Updated by J. A. Hefner, listing this web site as a source of information: http://www.theoldenorthchapel.com/weddingchapelhistoryrichmondindiana.html.
This church was the United Presbyterian until 1904, United Brethren from 1905-1955, Pentecostal Tabernacle from 1956-1972, unknown from 1973-1986, becoming Olde North Chapel in 1987. (Steven E. Lawson. July 14, 2017)
Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry.
If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items,
please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.
If you would like more information about documents included in the Database,
please see our Documents Information page.
- . .[Last accessed 2017-07-14.]
Clicking on a link will open the website in a new window or tab.
Please note that we are not responsible for dead links.
Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.
|1866-1871 church building originally housing the organ. Photograph by Ardene Schoeffler (2014)
|Detail of decorative pipes. Photograph by Ardene Schoeffler (2010)
|Facade Pipes. Photograph by Ardene Schoeffler ca. 2012
|Facade Pipes. Photograph by Ardene Schoeffler ca. 2011
If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may
upload them through our online form.
For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.