The OHS Pipe Organ Database

Heath Union Church
5 East Main Street
Heath, Massachusetts 01346

(Congregational)

OHS Database ID 5404.

See the address on Google Maps.

Awards

This organ received OHS Citation number 376, 2009-06-21.

OHS Convention Organ, 2015.


Status and Condition

The organ has been restored to a previous state.
The organ is in good condition and in regular use.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition 2015-04-25.


Technical Details

Slider chests. Mechanical key action. Mechanical stop action.

Two manuals. 3 divisions. 12 stops. 16 registers. 12 ranks. Manual compass is 54 notes. Pedal compass is 17 notes.

The organ is in a case at the front of the room. Traditional style console with a removable panel in front of keyboards. There is an attached keydesk en fenêtre.

Drawknobs in horizontal rows on flat jambs. Trigger/hitch-down swell. No combination action. Flat straight pedalboard.

Notes

  • Status Note: There 1990. (OHS PC Database. 2004-10-30)
  • Built for Congregational Church, Haydenville, MA. Sold to First Congregational, Whately in 1874. Moved here in 1914 [by Ryder?]. Case now gone. Historic Organs Recital 3 Jun 1990. (OHS PC Database. 2004-10-30)
  • According to the Citation application received from the Johnson Organ Restoration Committee in December 2008, the organ was taken in trade by Estey in 1912 and subsequently installed here by an unidentified person or firm in 1914. (James Cook. 2008-12-20)
  • Updated through online information from John Igoe. -- In March 2013 S. L. Huntington & Co. completed a thorough renovation of this notable instrument. The restoration has followed strictly the newly revised OHS Guidelines for Conservation, carefully analyzing details of the organ’s history and construction, recreating the original casework and faux-grain decoration, including the reinstatement of the 1850 gilded façade pipes (found still in use but well hidden inside the 1874 case), and replication of a missing rank of Stopped Diapason pipes. (Database Manager. 2014-11-13)
  • Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. (Database Manager. 2015-04-17)
  • Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. -- The organ was purchased for $100 in 1914, delivered up the steep two-mile mountain road to Heath by ox-cart, and installed by George Ryder of Boston. The Whately records do not indicate any allowance made on the old organ by Estey, and it was not their usual practice at this time to take organs in trade for resale. The available sources imply the Heath congregation purchased the organ directly from the Whately church.
    In 2013, S.L. Huntington & Co. of Stonington, Conn. restored the instrument, reversing all previous alterations but retaining the Swell Bass installed at an unknown date but prior to 1874 by Johnson, and including a reconstruction of the original 1850 case and decoration. (Database Manager. 2015-04-25)

Online Documents

Currently we have no online documents associated with this organ entry. If you can provide us with digital files of contracts, correspondence, dedication programs, or any similar items, please follow this link to our document upload form to send them to us.

If you would like more information about documents included in the Database, please see our Documents Information page.

Bibliography

  • Elsworth, John Van Varick. The Johnson Organs. (Harrisville, New Hampshire: Boston Organ Club Chapter of the Organ Historical Society, 1984), 88 [0]

Related Database Entries

As a matter of best practice, we maintain separate entries each time an organ is modified or relocated. Click a link to go to descriptions of other phases in this instrument's life.

Other Websites

Clicking on a link will open the website in a new window or tab.
Please note that we are not responsible for dead links.

Photographs

Click on a thumbnail to see the larger image in a new tab.


Organ Case. Photograph courtesy of Len Levasseur 2014-09-20
Organ Case, Keydesk, and Pedalaboard. Photograph by Len Levasseur 2014-09-20

Pipe organs in Massachusetts sponsored by Mssrs. Czelusniak et Dugal.

If you can provide us with additional photographs, you may upload them through our online form. For further information please see our expectations for adding photographs.

 

Stoplist

When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. To make corrections in stoplists that you see here, please send details via e-mail to stoplists@organsociety.org rather than submitting a new stoplist through our online form.

  • stoplist following restoration

  • Heath, Massachusetts
    Union Evangelical Church
    
    Wm. A. Johnson, Op. 16, 1850 (original silver nameplate missing)
    Altered Johnson Organ Co., 1874
    Moved by George Ryder, 1914
    Restored by S.L. Huntington & Co., 2013
    
    Compasses: 54/17
    (*) 2013 labels replacing non-originals
    Cone tuning intact and restored.
    A441, equal temperament
    W.P. 68mm
    
    GREAT
    
    Op. Diapason           1-5 open wood; 6-20 facade, zinc with original gilding; remainder common metal
    St. Diapason Treble    f18-b24 stopped pine; from c25 reconstructed chimney flute (2013), common metal (1)
    St. Diapason Bass      1-17 stopped pine
    Dulciana               from f18, common metal
    Principal*             1,2 original gilded zinc facade; 3-5 zinc, remainder common metal
    Flute                  from c13, common metal chimney flute; 50-54 open trebles
    Twelfth*               common metal
    Fifteenth*             common metal
    
    SWELL (enclosed, 37-note chest)
    
    Op. Diapason Sw.       from f18, common metal
    St. Diapason Sw.*      from f18, 18-24 stopped pine; remainder common metal chimney flute
    Principal Sw.          from f18, common metal
    Hautboy Sw.            from f18, 50-54 open metal flue trebles (2)
    Bellows Signal         Stopped pine bass 1-17,added pre-1874, unenclosed (3)
    
    PEDAL
    
    Dou. Op. Diapason      13 pipes, stopped pine remade out of the original open-wood pipes (4)
    
    Pedal Coupler          17 notes
    Coupler Gt. & Sw.      Swell to Great 
    
    (1) Replaces the 1874 Johnson Melodia 8', itself a replacement of the original St. Diapason Treble. 
           Following Johnson practice, the new pipes are an identical copy of the Swell Stopped Diapason. 
    (2) Common metal bells on zinc stems, tapered shallots with reverse-bevel shallot bottoms,
           atypical tuning wire and block design, common metal boots.
    (3) Added by Wm. A. Johnson behind the Great walkboard, using the Bellows Signal stop action,
           with its original label found under the organ in 2012 and restored to place.
    (4) The organ was begun as a G-compass instrument, and altered prior to its installation to C-compass,
           as evidenced by the Great and Pedal windchests, and Pedal pipework. The Pedal pipes were built
           prior to the organ's conversion as a unison open wood Diapason from 10 2/3' G, 13 pipes, shortened
           and rebuilt as a C-compass 16' Sub Bass, but retaining the original pitch markings, resulting
           in this stop being an unusually large scale for a Pedal Bourdon. Dated newspaper shims indicate
           the organ was begun at least as early as 1849. 
    
    
    
    
    
     [Received from Scot Huntington 2015-04-26.]
  • stoplist following restoration Plain text; will open in a new window or tab.