OHS Database ID 25095.
The organ has been altered from the original installation as described here.
The organ is in good condition and in regular use.
We received the most recent update on this organ's state and condition 2011-03-05.
Printer-friendly version of this page. (Printer version is also compatible with most tablets.)
Currently we have no photographs of this organ in the Database.
If you can provide us with photographs, you may either upload them through our online form or follow these instructions to send them to us as e-mail attachments. Your help in enhancing the Database will be greatly appreciated.
The organ is at the front of the room, and some pipes are exposed. Traditional style console. The console is in a fixed position, left.
Three manuals. 5 divisions. 65 stops. 47 registers. 72 ranks. 4039 pipes. Manual compass is 61 notes. Pedal compass is 32 notes.
Electro-pneumatic (EP) chests.
Drawknobs in vertical rows on angled jambs. Balanced swell shoes/pedals, standard AGO placement. Combination Action: Remote pneumatic/mechanical capture system. AGO Standard (concave radiating) pedalboard. Reversible full organ/tutti thumb piston. Reversible full organ/tutti toe stud. Combination action thumb pistons. Coupler reversible toe studs.
Other web sites:
Clicking on a link will open the web site in a new window or tab.
Please note that we are not responsible for dead links.
When they are available, stoplists for organs are included in the Database. Plain text files can be displayed on this page, but other types (e.g. PDF files) must be opened in another window or tab.
- Stoplist copied from the console December 11,1991Spokane, Washington Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (Episcopal) AEOLIAN-SKINNER ORGAN CO. Opus-1343 Boston, Mass. JOSEPH S. WHITEFORD 1960 HAUPTWERK RÉCIT (Expressive) 16 Spitz Prinzipal 12 16 Quintadène 68 8 Prinzipal 61 8 Flûte à Cheminée 68 8 Spitz Prinzipal 61 8 Viola Pompose 68 8 Holz Gedeckt 61 8 Viola Céleste 68 4 Oktave 61 8 Flute Céleste [II] 124 4 Rohr Flöte 61 4 Montre 68 2-2/3 Quinte 61 4 Flûte Harmonique 68 2 Super Oktav 61 2-2/3 Nazard 61 IV-VI Mixtur [19-22-26-29] 294 2 Flûte à Fuseau 61 III-V Scharf [26-29-33] 233 1-3/5 Tierce 61 8 Trompette en Chamade 61 IV-VI Plein Jeu [15-19-22-26] 300 4 Clairon en Chamade 12 16 Bombarde Hautbois 68 8 Trompette 68 Hauptwerk Off 8 Voix Humaine 68 Gallery Off 4 Clairon 68 Tremblant GALLERY (Antiphonal) Récit 16 8 Cor de Nuit 61 Récit Unison Off 8 Salicional 61 Récit 4 4 Spitz Geigen 61 IV Fourniture [22-26-29-33] 244 PEDAL 32 Untersatz (Bour.) 12 CHOIR (Expressive) 16 Kontra Bass (wood) 32 8 Nason Flute 68 16 Spitz Prinzipal (HW) -- 8 Gemshorn 68 16 Bourdon 32 8 Dolcan 68 16 Quintadène (Réc) 68 8 Dolcan Celeste (tc) 56 16 Contra Dolcan (Ch) 12 4 Koppel Flöte 68 16 Sanft Bass (Gal. Ped.) 32 2 Italian Principal 61 8 Oktave 32 1-1/3 Larigot 61 8 Spitz Prinzipal (HW) -- III-V Zimbel [29-33-36] 216 8 Bourdon 12 16 English Horn 68 4 Choral Bass 32 8 Trompette en Chamade -- 4 Bourdon 12 4 Cromorne 68 2 Fife 32 4 Rohr Schalmei 68 IV Mixture [12-15-19-22] 128 32 Contre Bombarde (Réc) 12 16 Posaune 32 16 Bombarde Hautbois (Réc) -- 16 English Horn (Ch) -- 8 Trompete 12 8 Cromorne (Ch) -- 4 Klarine 12 4 Rohr Schalmei (Ch) -- COUPLERS FINGER PISTONS Récit to Pedal 8,4 General 1 – 12 Haup. to Pedal 8 Récit 1 – 8 Choir to Pedal 8,4 Réc. to Ped. (rev) Gallery to Pedal 8 Réc. to Haup. (rev) Réc. to Ch. (rev) Récit to Haup. 16,8,4 Hauptwerk 1 – 8 Choir to Haup. 16,8,4 Haup. to Ped. (rev) Choir 1 – 8 Récit to Choir 16,8,4 Ch. to Ped. (rev) Gallery on Choir Ch. to Haup. (rev) Pedal 1 – 10 Gallery on Récit Sforz. (rev) Full Organ (rev) [Set] TOE STUDS Cancel General 1 – 12 Pedal 1 – 10 Zimbelstern (rev) FOOT LEVERS Gallery Off (rev) Haup. Off (rev) PEDAL MOVEMENTS Haup. to Ped. (rev) Récit Expression (bal.) Sforz. (rev) Choir Expression (bal.) Full Organ (rev) Crescendo (bal.) ACTION: E-P pitman VOICES: 48 STOPS: 65 RANKS: 73 PIPES: 4,047 & unit NOTES The original idea of a new Cathedral in Spokane originated in 1924 with the Right Reverend Edward Makin Cross, S.T.D., shortly after his arrival to become the new missionary bishop. The congregation of the new Cathedral was formed from the merger of three other congregations, and the sale of their properties helped to fund the construction. These three congregations were the former Cathedral – All Saints – which stood at the corner of First Ave. & Jefferson St.; St. James Church at the corner of Grand Blvd. & 25th Ave.; and St. Peter's Church at Denver & Newark. The new Cathedral's first pipe organ was the II-manual, 21-rank instrument built by Henry Pilcher's Sons in 1905 for All Saints Cathedral. The second organ was a used IV-manual, 32-rank W.W. Kimball Co. instrument originally built for Spokane's Clemmer Theatre in 1914. It was installed at the Cathedral ca. 1935, and the Pilcher organ was moved to Holy Trinity Episcopal Church on W. Dean Ave. where it still exists in predominantly original form on its original slider chests. The Aeolian-Skinner was installed in 1960, and the old Kimball was sold to Balcom and Vaughan of Seattle. Part of it was installed at St. Michael's Lutheran in Portland, Oregon as a III- manual, 15-rank organ. The remainder of the organ was gradually dispersed for parts or discarded. The Aeolian-Skinner places the Hauptwerk on the right side with the Récit behind it. Part of the Pedal is exposed on the left side with the Choir behind it. The rest of the Pedal is behind the Choir box. The gold façade pipes facing into the side transepts are ornamental only. The console sits on the left side with the organist facing the altar. The Hauptwerk 8'/4' Trompette en Chamade unit is actually located in the rear gallery with the antiphonal Gallery division, and the pipes are actually hooded - not truly en Chamade. [Received from James R. Stettner 2012-07-18.]